Literature, with the naughty bits

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Au revoir

I've decided to stop posting here for a while. I doubt this will come as any great shock, since it's already been quite a while since my last post, but I'm making it official.

My reasoning:
1. I'm more interested these days in writing fiction than in writing criticism. If I do happen to get an idea for a piece of writing about writing, I'll probably post it here. This has been a useful place to hash out those ideas.
2. As I work to find representation and, I hope, get the next novel published, it seems to me more and more that writing criticism of contemporary writers could be a bit of a conflict of interest. As an actor, I don't write theater reviews because I doubt my ability to be objective about other performers--especially those performers in roles for which I might be considered. I might, similarly, be more prone to denigrating the work of writers with whom I'm jockeying for position in a crowded marketplace. My bias might not be conscious, but that makes guarding against it all the more imperative.

I will keep the blog online, since I think I did some decent writing here. Many thanks to everyone who read and commented.

No comments: