Literature, with the naughty bits

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Brief Moment of Necessary Housekeeping

FCC rules compel me to mention that The Field Guide to Forbidden Books is now part of the Amazon Associates program. I've always linked the books I mention to Amazon, but now if you click my link and buy the book I get a tiny amount of money.

This is not going to change the way I present my opinions of books, and it's certainly not going to change whether my reviews are positive are not. If you want to buy a book just to see how horrible it is, who am I to stop you? The whole point of this blog is that individual readers--not censors, not mail carriers, not editors, not hand-wringing PTAs, not the Texas school board--should be the ones who decide whether a given work is offensive.

Honestly, I have about three* readers, and I think most of them have already read most of the books I discuss, so I don't expect to make a dime from this. If by some chance my readership takes off, and if some of those new readers buy books because of my criticism, well...no, I probably still won't even come close to earning fair pay for the writing time. But it's nice to dream.

*Margin of error: ±3.

No comments: